Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Importing text file into database

Hello Everyone,

I would like to import a text file which contains one string (a large integer) per line not separated by commas or anything else except a carriage return. Does anyone know of an easy way to store this in a database file? I'm open to suggestions if there is more than one way to save this kind of information within a database. I have SQL server 2005 developer edition if that helps in any way. I'm also starting to learn about Linq so if there is some other way you would store this information for that purpose I would love to hear about that as well. C# code is preferable, but I can use the automatic translators if that's all you have. By the way, I'm a newbie to this subject (if you couldn't tell). Thanks in advance.

Robert

check out

- BCP

- Bulk Insert

|||

Your answer looks promising after a review of the information about it. I'll try it out and if it works then close this post. Thanks for your suggestion.

Robert

|||

Hello Everyone,

I did try this and I was amazed to find out that you can import plain text files straight into excel or access. Obviously with an access database in hand using it with SQL server 2005 should be straightforward. Thanks for your help.

Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment