Friday, March 30, 2012

importing xml into sql server 7

Is it possible to import an XSD into SQL Server 7 and automagically create
the tables?
Cheers
Iain
None of the SQLXML features work with SQL Server 7. What you are asking for
is available with XML Bulk Load in SQL Server 2000.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
"Iain A. Mcleod" <mcleodia@.dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:uK6FKAOpEHA.592@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Is it possible to import an XSD into SQL Server 7 and automagically create
> the tables?
> Cheers
> Iain
>
|||Thanks for the swift reply Roger.
Are there any 3rd party add-ons that you or anyone else know about that
would do the trick?
Here's the situation:
I have XSD documents describing my data (subject to design changes). I wish
to write ASP.NET pages to deal with my data and would prefer to treat it as
xml and use xslt rather than datasets and datagrids. The reason for this is
that my company has some rather funky generic client side scripts that
request the data through http as xml and dynamically build/rebuild the UI -
it saves quite a bit on server load.
However, I'm not convinced that storing the data as purely xml files at the
backend is a very safe or scalable option for a multiuser system. Therefore
I would like to store them in sql server. Also note that I don't have any
data yet as the app is still in design phase :-)
I can easily load them into an XMLDataDocument in .NET, which contains a
dataset object, so it would be relatively easy to use this to interface with
the db (I think that to do this I have to provide the sql to do this through
a data-adapter). However that still leaves the issue of creating the
tables... I either have to do this manually, or else 3rd party tools...
Am I going about this the right way?
Many thanks again
Iain
p.s. is SQLXml available through .NET platform APIs or is it SQL Server? I
know that it uses VB in some way, but I'm a bit hazy on how...
"Roger Wolter[MSFT]" <rwolter@.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ej9oJVOpEHA.800@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> None of the SQLXML features work with SQL Server 7. What you are asking
for
> is available with XML Bulk Load in SQL Server 2000.
> --
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.[vbcol=seagreen]
> Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
> "Iain A. Mcleod" <mcleodia@.dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:uK6FKAOpEHA.592@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
create
>
|||Bulkload offers SchemaGen option to create tables automatically on the
server based on your AXSD. You may use Bulkload in VB script, any language
supports COM or .Net languages via COM interrupts.
Bertan ARI
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Iain A. Mcleod" <mcleodia@.dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:eOJl9jOpEHA.3252@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the swift reply Roger.
> Are there any 3rd party add-ons that you or anyone else know about that
> would do the trick?
> Here's the situation:
> I have XSD documents describing my data (subject to design changes). I
wish
> to write ASP.NET pages to deal with my data and would prefer to treat it
as
> xml and use xslt rather than datasets and datagrids. The reason for this
is
> that my company has some rather funky generic client side scripts that
> request the data through http as xml and dynamically build/rebuild the
UI -
> it saves quite a bit on server load.
> However, I'm not convinced that storing the data as purely xml files at
the
> backend is a very safe or scalable option for a multiuser system.
Therefore
> I would like to store them in sql server. Also note that I don't have any
> data yet as the app is still in design phase :-)
> I can easily load them into an XMLDataDocument in .NET, which contains a
> dataset object, so it would be relatively easy to use this to interface
with
> the db (I think that to do this I have to provide the sql to do this
through
> a data-adapter). However that still leaves the issue of creating the
> tables... I either have to do this manually, or else 3rd party tools...
> Am I going about this the right way?
> Many thanks again
> Iain
> p.s. is SQLXml available through .NET platform APIs or is it SQL Server?
I
> know that it uses VB in some way, but I'm a bit hazy on how...
>
> "Roger Wolter[MSFT]" <rwolter@.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:ej9oJVOpEHA.800@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> for
> rights.
> create
>
|||Thanks for the reply Bertran...
Is bulkload not sql server 2000 only though?
I thought it was part of sqlxml.
Let me know if I'm wrong.
Cheers
Iain
"Bertan ARI [MSFT]" <bertan@.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:%238Spb1ZpEHA.1296@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Bulkload offers SchemaGen option to create tables automatically on the
> server based on your AXSD. You may use Bulkload in VB script, any language
> supports COM or .Net languages via COM interrupts.
> --
> Bertan ARI
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.[vbcol=seagreen]
>
> "Iain A. Mcleod" <mcleodia@.dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:eOJl9jOpEHA.3252@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> wish
> as
this[vbcol=seagreen]
> is
> UI -
> the
> Therefore
any[vbcol=seagreen]
> with
> through
> I
asking
>
|||Yes. But the generated statements could be run on a 7.0 DB if needed.
XML Spy may be a non-Microsoft tool that may have such functionality (just a
guess).
Best regards
Michael
"Iain A. Mcleod" <mcleodia@.dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:u5woV8ZpEHA.2764@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the reply Bertran...
> Is bulkload not sql server 2000 only though?
> I thought it was part of sqlxml.
> Let me know if I'm wrong.
> Cheers
> Iain
> "Bertan ARI [MSFT]" <bertan@.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:%238Spb1ZpEHA.1296@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> rights.
> this
> any
> asking
>
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment